Saturday, November 15, 2008

Good-bye Welly, it's been nice. Hope you find your paradise.

I wish I didn't have to wear pants to work.

...or, to phrase that in a way that doesn't make me sound like a pervert, I wish I could wear shorts to work instead of pants. The weather's been very nice and warm lately. Then again, maybe pants are best for the hotel job--less exposed skin means less exposed skin being splashed with poop water.

Speaking of the hotel, an odd thing happened the other day. As part of my job cleaning the bathrooms, I have to fold the end of each toilet paper roll into an intricate triangle. Obviously the reason for this is to make the guests think, "Oh! This must be a nice hotel. They can afford to pay someone to make toilet paper origami!"

In the morning when I first went into the ladies room by the conference areas, all the toilet paper rolls were still folded from the day before. Mysteriously enough, there was also toilet paper in the toilets. So either A) the guests are bringing their own toilet paper or B) the guests are making their own toilet paper origami. I'm not sure which would be stranger.

Moving on to more exciting news, Alexa and I are planning on leaving Wellington in less than three weeks! It's a little bit sad, because I think Wellington is a really great city. But soon three months will be up, we'll be 1/4 of the way through our time in this lovely country, and there's still so much to see! Our next stop is Queenstown, a town near the bottom of the south island. Our trip won't be a direct one, however. We're going to spend close to two weeks getting there. The trip will take us on a loop up and around the north island before returning to Wellington to catch a ferry south.

As we've tenatively planned it, our action-packed trip is going to include: The Tongariro Crossing, one of the best day-hikes in the world; skydiving in Taupo (this one's just for me. Apparently Alexa has enough sense to not throw herself out of a plane); Orakei Korako Thermal Park; pretending to be human-sized hamsters and Zorbing in Rotorua; going black-water rafting with the glow worms in Waitomo Caves; and taking a two-day paddle down the famous Whanganui River! Just look at all those links! You're going to be busy for hours.

The ferry ride itself is supposed to be one of the most scenic ferry rides in the world, providing it's a fair day. Really, a lot of what we have planned could easily be wrecked by bad weather. Knock on wood.

Once we're off the ferry we'll break up the 11-hour drive to Queenstown into three chunks: Picton to Christchurch, Christchurch to Dunedin, and Dunedin to Queenstown. Once we're there, we'll restart the wild and wacky job hunting game. I'm already corresponding with two possible jobs in Queenstown: one at Subway, because apparently it is my desinty to travel the country working at American fast food places. The other is a resort hotel that would take both Alexa and myself, and would pay us in free accomodation and food for 4 hours work per day. Any work in excess of that would be paid in cash. They need kitchen, waiting, and bar staff in addition to housekeeping, so if we end up going with the hotel, I will do everything my power to not be a housekeeper again. Bartending sounds more up my alley. Hell, even reliving my high school dishwasher days in the kitchen would be preferable.

So that's that. Sometime this week we're going to put in our two weeks' notices at our jobs, the following week we'll give notice to our landlord, and with any luck we'll be on the road December 4th.

Not too much else has happened since my last post. As you may have read in Alexa's blog, last Sunday we went to Somes Island, an island in the harbor. We took a longer ferry ride that made a number of stops in different parts of Wellington, but it was a nice day for the ride. Somes is known for its population of little blue penguins and tuatara. Unfortunately it was nesting season for the penguins, so they were nowhere to be seen. And, as always, the tuatara remained elusive. I'm starting to think they don't exist. We did get to see a ton of skinks, though, as well as a few red-headed parakeets. There were also a pair of insane ducks that made the most terrible honking noise, and the male kept charging at the female and biting her neck, then running away. Crazy. We also got a look at a few old prison buildings, because the island was originally used to intern Italians, Germans, and Japanese during the World Wars.

On the bright side, I finally got the view of Wellington that I've been trying to get since we first moved here. Remember my first blog post about Wellington, when I said I would try to get a picture of the entirety of Wellington's city center, complete with the harbor in the foreground and mountains in the background? Here it is:



Also, the island claimed to be mammal-free, but we found sheep. This picture was pretty hard to get. That lamb was not as camera-friendly as he looks in this picture.




Here's a lighthouse on the island. In the background is greater Wellington.



Lastly, my mom is always complaining about how there aren't enough pictures of me and Alexa on our blogs. This isn't quite a picture of us, but it's the next best thing: a picture of me holding a dead weta!



That's all for now, but there's a bunch of other pictures from Somes Island in the new link to the right, Album 3: Even More Wellington. Enjoy!

1 comment:

David E. O'Neill said...

Finally figured out how to leave comments.

#1 your new address please
#2 under personal for your 101 in 1001 days should be "back to school for your masters"
#3 decide how many games of pool constitute an undefeated night of pool because if only one then this comes into play: "even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while", right Mike!
#4 make an oath NOT to do the bulk of the things in the pics I sent you, for you mother and my sakes.
#5 be tolerate of those who are not as learned in the english language as yourself :>)for, oh say 6 months