Monday, October 27, 2008

This post has four pictures. Can you handle it?!

In a little over a week from today, we'll know whether or not I'm going to spend the next four years in the United States. That's right. I've decided that if the McCain/Palin comedy duo are elected, I'm moving to a country where the leader knows how to pronounce "nuclear."

It's nothing to do with Democrats or Republicans. If Ron Paul had come out on top for the Republicans, I might've voted for him over Obama. I just can't even think about living in a country run by McCain and Palin, because doing so would mean that a majority of my fellow Americans are certifiably insane. Seriously. The only thing more insane than McCain picking Palin as his running mate is the fact that there are people who are actually going to wake up, crawl out of bed, go to their local election center, and tick the box for McCain/Palin--without even being drunk!

So make the right choice on November 4th. Not that I'm too worried: most of my readers live in Maryland and New York, so even if some temporary lapse of judgment allows you to vote incorrectly, it won't matter because Obama already owns those states--as well as all the battleground states, for that matter, and some traditionally-red states too, ha hee ha! Gee, anyone think that somewhere in his feeble, cobweb-ridden old head, McCain is finally entertaining the thought, "Hmmm.... maybe picking the crazy chick from Alaska wasn't what my campaign needed?"

Anyway, I know my compelling and intellectually-stimulating political commentary isn't what makes you check this site every ten minutes. You come here to read about me cleaning toilets and getting rained on. So, without further ado, let's move on to the main event.

Today I cleaned a record number of toilets. After finishing public areas, I helped do rooms at the hotel, and the other housekeepers decided that my skills would be best put to use in the bathrooms. Oh my sweet, joyous life. Taking the "glass is half full" point of view, I have at least been working close to thirty hours every week, so now I'm able to actually start saving some money. That's a plus.

In other exciting news, yesterday was Labour Monday here in New Zealand (the equivilent of Labor Day in the states). I had off from the hotel, but had to work at Domino's. According to the law, I am legally entitled to time and a half for my Labour Monday shift at Domino's, as well as pay for my day off from the hotel! Domino's is really sketchy, though, so we'll see if I actually get it, and the hotel flat out told me I wouldn't be paid for the two hour shift I would've worked that day. I'm disregarding that and putting it on my timesheet anyway. Sure, it's only two hours' pay, but I hate the very core of the hotel's being and don't care if they fire me.

Also, this Friday is Halloween! According to someone Alexa works with, Halloween only came to New Zealand about ten years ago, and it's really just for kids here. It's also not as commercialized as it is in the States. You have to actively go out and try to find Halloween-themed items, such as costumes or candy, and there don't seem to be any decorations anywhere. Not a single Jack-O-Lantern. :( I work Friday anyway, so I'll find out whether or not Halloween really is just for kids here, because if there are any drunk, costumed twenty-somethings, they most certainly will find their way to Domino's.

On the touristy, fun side of things, Alexa and I went to the Karori Wildlife Sanctuary. It's a good-sized wildlife sanctuary on the outskirts of Wellington City. It's special because it's the first urban wildlife sanctuary in the whole world. It might also be the largest. Or maybe just the first. I can't remember exactly what the sign said. Largest, first, best, most super duper--who gives a shit? If you want to know that badly, the real answer is only a quick visit to Wikipedia away.

The sanctuary is surrounded by a special type of fence designed by New Zealand environmentalists. It has different features to keep out different types of invasive pests--basically any animal not native to New Zealand. This is especially important, because prior to human arrival, the only land mammals in New Zealand were bats. New Zealand is one of the most recently-inhabited land mass in the entire world. Researchers estimate that the Maori only arrived between 800-1200 years ago. Indigenous peoples have been on the North American continent for at least 12,000 years, to put that in perspective. So, without any natural predators, some odd creatures evolved in New Zealand, such as many, many species of flightless birsd. Settlers, Maori and European alike, introduced rats, dogs, cats, possums, deer, etc. Most of the flightless birds became extinct. A few, like the kiwi and weka--a little duck-like bird--survived, though, and are on the endangered/protected list. The Karori sanctuary is about fifty years old, and is part of a five hundred year project to restore the area to the way it was before humans, and their non-indigenous plants and animals, arrived.

So, getting back to the point (because there is a point to all this animal blah blah blah), the environmentalists designed special fences. They are tall to keep out jumping animals, go underground to block burrowing animals, have overhangs to block climbing animals, and the gaps in the fence are narrow, to keep out little animals that might try to squeeze through. See:



We didn't actually see any kiwis or wekas. Kiwis are nocturnal and very adept at locating and avoiding humans, so the pair we saw at the Zoo will probably be the only we see in New Zealand. We did, however, get a really good look at a bunch of kakas and tui. Kakas are a species of parrot native to New Zealand, and are not to be confused with caca, which is Spanish for poop. Tui are very prevalent in New Zealand, and they have a very distinctive call. When I get around to it, I'll upload a video to YouTube so you can all hear them in action.

Karori Wildlife Sanctuary was also the site of several gold mines during the gold rush, an artificial lake, and a dam that was quickly put out of use once scientists realized it was built almost directly over the Wellington fault line. Whoops! We went inside of an old gold mine, where we saw a cave weta (a creepy bug native to New Zealand and dating back to dinosaur times). We also hiked up to the dam, which was pretty scenic.

Our next adventure will be Somme's Island, a nature reserve in the form of an island in the harbor, which is home to tuatara (the really, really old lizards that lived side-by-side with dinosaurs) and penguins! We're planning on going next weekend, weather permitting.

In the meantime, here are some pictures:

Here's a picture of a kaka on a bird feeder. If you want a picture of caca on a bird feeder, you'll have to find that on your own.



The dam:



Just a pretty view:



You can check out more pictures from the Karori Wildlife Sanctuary by clicking on Album Two on the sidebar to the right.

No comments: